Have you ever woken up with a mixture of confusion and panic when you heard the beeping of your alarm clock in the dark? A situation as unfortunate as common. We know that waking up with natural light is better for the body and mindalthough not all of us can enjoy that privilege.
Unfortunately, the rhythms of nature and modern life are rarely synchronized to facilitate our awakening. Thinking about this, technological solutions have been found, such as dawn light alarm clocks. These devices can give you a smooth, natural and healthier awakening.
Find out everything you need to know about sunrise light alarm clocks, and a great way to start your daily routine with more energy.
Table of Contents
What are sunrise light alarm clocks?
A sunrise light alarm clock turns on gradually, increasing the brightness of a light over a period of time. Light enters through the eyelids and triggers the body to start its natural awakening cycle.
When the light reaches its maximum intensity, awakening occurs spontaneously, without the need for an alarm. Well, that's the theory. Almost all alarm clocks of this type also include customizable audible alarms (sounds, music, ambient noise), just in case the light is not enough.
The most advanced can even measure the sleep environment, using parameters such as ambient light, temperature, and humidity. Some of these alarm clocks also include a "twilight" mode for bedtime.
Regardless of their complexity, they all base their effectiveness on the effectiveness of gradually turning on lights to adjust our circadian rhythms.
How does a sunrise light alarm clock work?
The light of these alarm clocks gradually turns on before the wake-up time you have set (between 30 to 60 minutes before). This light includes circadian rhythms by synchronizing them with the environmental cycle of day and night.
Circadian rhythms are physical, mental, and behavioral changes that follow a daily cycle. and that they respond mainly to light and dark in the environment.
By being exposed to sunlight-like light in the morning, the body receives a signal to wake up and activate. This can help regulate the internal biological clock and improve mood and performance during the day.
Circadian rhythms influence important body functions, such as hormone release, eating and digestion habits, and body temperature, as well as sleep patterns.
Are they better than traditional alarm clocks?
Sunrise light alarm clocks have some advantages over traditional alarm clocks, such as the following:
- Sunrise light alarm clocks simulate sunrise, by progressively lighting up over a period of time, which can help wake the user more naturally and gently.
- Sunrise light alarm clocks can improve the user's mood and performance by Synchronize your circadian rhythms with the environmental cycle of day and night.
- Dawn light alarm clocks can reduce stress and anxiety that sometimes cause the abrupt or annoying sounds of traditional alarm clocks.
- Sunrise light alarm clocks can offer other features such as nature sounds, FM radio, assorted colors, touch or remote control, etc.
Do dawn light alarm clocks have any disadvantages?
Sunrise light alarm clocks are safe for anyone to use, and they don't have any clear drawbacks over traditional alarm clocks. In fact, we can configure them so that they have the same functionality as the alarm clock of a lifetime.
However, dawn light alarm clocks have some drawbacks or limitations to be aware of:
- The dawn light alarm clocks They are usually more expensive than traditional alarm clocks, although there are basic models for less than 30 euros.
- They may also not be effective if the user has trouble perceiving light, or if there is too much light in the room.
- Dawn light alarm clocks may require a custom fit according to preferences and needs of the user (duration and intensity of sunrise, type and volume of sound, etc).
We could say that, in general, these alarm clocks may be better for almost all people, but not for all. Its usefulness depends on the individual and environmental characteristics of each case. The ideal would be to try them and see how it can be adapted to our needs.
What features to look for in a sunrise light alarm clock?
Some features that you can look for in an alarm clock with sunrise light are:
- The duration and intensity of the sunrise and sunset simulation. Ideally, it can be adjusted according to your preferences and needs.
- The variety and quality of the natural sounds or FM radio for alarm. Ideally, they should be relaxing and pleasant sounds that help you wake up or sleep.
- La usability and alarm clock settings. Ideally, it should have a clear screen and an intuitive button panel or that it can be controlled from the mobile or by voice.
- La compatibility with other smart devices Ideally, it can be integrated with other systems like Alexa, Google Home or Apple HomeKit to create custom scenes.
- The guarantee and after-sales service of the alarm clock. Ideally, it should have a guarantee of at least 2 years and efficient customer service.
Here are some features that can make your sunrise alarm clock experience more satisfying and beneficial to your health.
Best brands and models of dawn light alarm clocks
Some consumer electronics brands have specialized in the design of this type of alarm clock, such as Lumie, Artinabs and Philips. These are some of their best models that can be found right now:
- Lumie Bodyclock Glow 150. With a price of around 100 euros, this alarm clock with sunrise light is one of the best sellers in the mid-range of this type of device. You can choose between a gradual sunrise of 20, 30 and even 45 minutes and includes a white noise generator.
- Lumie Sunrise Alarm. An entry-level device that can be found for less than 50 euros in specific offers. You can use it as a reading light and change the light color manually (red, orange, pink, blue and green), as well as warm and white light.
- Artinabs alarm clock. A basic sunrise light alarm clock, but capable of simulating sunset and sunrise (between 10 to 60 minutes before your wake-up time). It can be set to repeat the alarm, and can be customized for weekends.
- Philips SmartSleep Wake-up Light HF3531/01. Wake up to up to 7 high quality nature sounds and midnight light function by double tapping the device. Screen dimming is automatic and depends on natural light. It has up to 20 brightness settings.
There are many sunrise alarm clocks on the market, so you will easily find one that suits your taste and your pocket. Follow our advice to choose the one that has what you are looking for and helps you improve your health and well-being, as well as the quality of your sleep.
Be the first to comment