Have you ever lost touch with a friend or family member and wished you could find them again? Facebook may be the perfect tool to help you do this.
From searching for specific people to finding old schoolmates, Facebook has many features that can help you connect with people. that you thought were lost in time.
In this article, we'll explore some of the ways you can use Facebook to find people and give you some helpful tips on how to do it.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to do before starting the search?
- 2 Search for a user on Facebook by name
- 3 Search user by name or current job
- 4 Find the person in public Facebook groups
- 5 Find people on Facebook by mutual friends
- 6 Find people from phone number
- 7 Use the Facebook directory to find people
- 8 What to do if your search was unsuccessful
- 9 Why is it sometimes hard to find people on Facebook?
What to do before starting the search?
Before starting your search on Facebook, you should consider certain aspects so that your results are optimal. First of all, you must have a Facebook account and, therefore, be an active user on this social network.
This implies that you must have a list of friends, which will allow you, over time and interactions, to feed back your account with valuable information.
We also recommend synchronizing your phone's contacts with Facebook, especially if you have the app installed on your mobile. This will allow the platform to create maps of important users and connections to help you locate someone.
Next, we introduce you different ways you can use Facebook to find the person you're looking for.
Search for a user on Facebook by name
To search for someone on Facebook by name, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook account, from your mobile or computer.
- On the main Facebook page, you'll find a search bar at the top of the screen. Click on it.
- Type the name of the person you are looking for in the search bar.
- Click on "Search".
- You will see a list of search results. If the person you're looking for has a Facebook profile, they should appear on the list.
If the person has a common name, such as Juan Perez, you may need to add additional information to find the correct account. For example, you can add the city where you live or the school you attended to narrow down the search results.
Search user by name or current job
To find someone on Facebook by job or school, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook and click on the search bar.
- Write the name of the company or educational institution where the person works or attended and press "Enter".
- Click on "See everything" in the section People, located at the top of the search results.
- Use the filters on the left side of the page to narrow the search to the city or country where the person lives or worked.
- You can also use the additional filters to search by title, year of graduation, areas of study, etc.
- Browse the profiles of the people that appear in the search results and find the person you are looking for.
Keep in mind that not all people on Facebook post information about their employment. or college on their profile, so you probably won't find someone this way.
Find the person in public Facebook groups
To search for a person in public Facebook groups, follow these steps:
- Go to the search bar on your Facebook profile and type the name of the person you are looking for.
- Click on the tab «Groups», which is located at the top of the search results.
- In the results, use the search filters to narrow the results to specific groups.
- Scroll through the list that appears in the results and click on any group that seems relevant.
- When you're in the group, use the search bar to search for the person's name. If the group is large, you may have to go through several pages to find the person.
Remember that this is a public group search. If the person you're looking for isn't a member of a public group, they won't appear in group search results.
Find people on Facebook by mutual friends
To search for a person on Facebook in the list of mutual friends, follow these steps:
- Open the profile of the friend you're looking for on Facebook.
- Click on "Friends" below the person's profile cover photo.
- A mutual friends list will open between you and that person. You can scroll through the list to find the person you want to find.
You can only see mutual friends you have with the person if you both have the correct privacy settings.
Find people from phone number
To find people on Facebook by phone number, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook on your mobile or computer.
- Click on the search bar and type the phone number of the person you are looking for. Be sure to write the full number with the area code.
If the person has a Facebook account linked to that phone number, it will show up in search results. If it doesn't show up, the person may not have linked their phone number to their Facebook account or their profile may not be public.
Use the Facebook directory to find people
Facebook has a little-known but useful directory for finding people, in case other methods fail. However, to prevent abuse, Facebook has limited its use with a code that you must enter on each page you visit.
This will allow you to find a person on Facebook by first and last name. If you want to perform a more advanced search, you must log into your account and go to the Facebook directory page.
If you have the name of the person you are looking for, you will be able to explore page by page, since the names are arranged in alphabetical order. Remember that you are visiting a directory with millions of people, so you may have to be patient when using it.
Once you get familiar with the directory, you will see how useful it is. and you will be able to use this smart way to find people on Facebook.
What to do if your search was unsuccessful
If you can't find the person you're looking for on Facebook, connect your account with other social networks like Twitter or Instagram. This can be very useful for the databases of both platforms to be synchronized and increase the effectiveness of the search.
In case you do not have an account on these social networks, create one and then connect it with Facebook. This can help you because many social networks have different databases and when you join them, they will share information that will help you improve your search..
Why is it sometimes hard to find people on Facebook?
Some people choose to protect their privacy within Facebook, so they set limits to prevent them from being found.
They also temporarily deactivate their accounts to stay under the radar for a while., or simply do not have a Facebook account because they do not like this social network. If you do not find the person you are looking for, do not be discouraged.
We recommend that you have some patience and wait for a while before doing another search. So don't give up hope, because that person might also be reading this guide on how to use Facebook to find people.