Xiaomi's connected home products have become quite popular due to their close relationship between quality and price, a hallmark of the brand in all its sections. As for intelligent lighting, it could not be less, and this time we bring you one of its most popular products.
We take a look at the Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2, a versatile lamp that is extremely compatible with different virtual assistants. The Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2 is already on the analysis table and we will tell you what our experience has been with this peculiar and complete product.
Table of Contents
Materials and design
The second-generation Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp has a fairly industrial design and is easy to adapt to almost any room. It has a height of 20 centimeters and a width of 14 centimeters, a compact and lightweight design that ensures that it can offer illumination in a 360-degree spectrum. The power connector is for the rear part and for the front part a selector with three buttons. You have it at the best price on Amazon in case you are interested in buying it.
Matt white plastic for the base and translucent white for the area responsible for radiating the lighting. The product is easy to "fit" in different rooms, so we do not have to stick to its use as a bedside table.
As always, the product comes with an easy-to-understand quick installation manual. First of all we are going to connect the power supply and we go on to plug the Mi Bedside Lamp 2 to the electrical current. Automatically, without the need for further actions, we are going to get to work with the Xiaomi Mi Home application, available for Android and iOS.
- Download for Android
- Download for iOS
Once we have logged into our Xiaomi account, or we have registered (strictly necessary) in case we do not have an account, we are going to press the "+" button at the top right of the screen. In just a few seconds the Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2 that we have just started will appear.
We simply have to offer you a WiFi network and your password. We warn at this point that the Mi Bedside Lamp 2 is not compatible with 5 GHz networks. Then we will add a room inside our home as well as an identification in the form of a name. At this point we have the Mi Bedside Lamp 2 almost integrated, but we must remember that we have full compatibility with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, so we are going to finish integrating the lamp with our favorite virtual assistants.
Integration with Amazon Alexa
We go to "Profile" in the lower right corner, then we continue in the "voice services" setting and select Amazon Alexa, there we will find the steps, which are the following:
- Enter your Alexa application and go to the skills section
- Download the Xiaomi Home skill and log in with the same account that you have linked to the Xiaomi Bedside Lamp 2
- Click on «discover devices»
- Your Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp already appears in the «lights» section so you can adjust what you want
Integration with Apple HomeKit
At this point the instructions are even easier to follow than the ones we have offered for linking with Amazon Alexa.
- Once you have finished all the configuration section through Xiaomi Home go to the Apple Home application.
- Click on the "+" icon to add a device
- Scan the QR code under the base of the lamp
- It will be automatically added to your Apple HomeKit system
This, coupled with Google Home compatibility, makes the Mi Bedside Lamp 2 one of the best value for money smart lamps on the market.
Settings and functionalities
It goes without saying that thanks to the integrations with the different Apple and Amazon assistants you will be able to perform hourly automation or any other type of automatic adjustment you want. In addition to the above, we have the Xiaomi Home application that, among other things, will allow us to:
- Adjust the lamp color
- Adjust the hue of whites
- Create a flow of color
- Turn the lamp on and off
- Create automatisms
However, at this point we must also focus on the no less important manual controls, Because honestly, being a bedside table lamp it is good that we have a multitude of options in the mobile phone, but one of its most common uses is undoubtedly going to be manual adjustment.
For this we have a touch system in the center that has LED lighting and offers us all these possibilities:
- The lower button will make the function of turning the lamp on and off in any circumstance with a single touch.
- The slider in the central zone will allow us to adjust a range of brightness that suits our needs and that offers a good response.
- The button at the top will allow us to adjust shades and colors:
- When it is offering a white color, making a short touch will allow us to alternate the different shades of the color that are offered to us from colder to warmer
- If we do a long press we will be able to alternate between the white mode and the RGB color mode
- When it is offering the RGB color mode, a short press on the button at the top will allow us to alternate between the different colors
This Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2 consumes 1,4 watts at rest and 9,3 watts in maximum operation, so we could consider it "low consumption". Regarding the light capacity we find some more than enough (and plenty) 400 lumens for a bedside table lamp.
My final opinion about the Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2 is that I find it complex to offer more for a product that you can buy between 20 and 35 euros depending on the point of sale and the specific offers. We have a highly compatible, versatile lamp and with the features you would expect from it, it is difficult to justify not having one in a connected home.
- Editor's rating
- 4.5 star rating
- My Bedside Lamp 2
- Review of: Miguel Hernandez Gutierrez
- Posted on:
- Last modification:
- DesignPublisher: 90%
- CompatibilityPublisher: 90%
- BrightPublisher: 80%
- ConfigurationPublisher: 90%
- Portability (size / weight)Publisher: 90%
- Price qualityPublisher: 90%
Pros and cons
- Materials and design
- High compatibility
- Requires creating Xiaomi account
- Price difference at points of sale